Thursday, June 4, 2015

Walk of shame

Its been a horrifyingly long time since I've checked in with ya'll. Life has been busy in the barnyard! We've had a graduation, a 40th birthday, a dance recital, a cattle show, a goat show, volleyball camp, a garden plot to plant (whose bright fucking idea was that?) and calving season is finally over and all the ladies have been moved to the pasture. A few ladies have even been moved back home so their kiddos can become show calves! There's never a dull moment in the barnyard!
Since its been such a long time, I think I need to just purge some thoughts...
Chicken is chicken. I don't want to eat anything that "tastes like chicken" I will just order the chicken. And when I order the chicken, I will only order chicken breast. If something (like for instance a taco salad) gives the chicken option, unless that bitch says, "all white meat chicken breast" this heffa ain't touching it...#whatthefuckisthatbigchunk...
Freddy, Freddy, Freddy, I feel like the prom king just dumped me. However, I can't be too mad, because he did it for the right reasons. He has health issues. His dream has been to coach in the NBA. BDJ and the first round loss in the NCAA's done pissed him off. Still, I have a hole where Hoiberg used to be. (Wow, that sounds a lot dirtier than I anticipated it would.)
The Caitlin FKA Bruce getting the Arthur Ashe Award for courage from ESPN story...I've not seen a shit storm this big since the epic failure that was the Seinfeld finale. (Oooh, here come the But, but, but's ready to argue with me). I do believe that Lauren Hill would have been a better honoree. I do believe her battle and her story relates to a greater audience. I also believe that ESPN is pandering a bit to the current popularity of Caitlin's story. While I do believe that what he/she has done took courage and that someone with her tabloid status doing something like this and sharing her story makes it easier for others dealing with the same issues, I think ESPN is just trying to cash in on the story.  In the past several years the award has had a lot less to do with sports and courage and a lot more to do with social issues. And there are usually more losers than winners when it comes to award given for subjective reasons. By the way, I also think her reaction to winning (Tweeting, "What do I wear?") was low rent. AND, I also think its complete and utter bullshit that she's so good at applying makeup. (I also think far too many people are getting their panties in a wad over this. Do you know her? Does it affect you directly? No? Then move the fuck on...)
Taking my own advice, moving on to the lunch lady who was fired because she gave a crying little girl who didn't have lunch money a lunch. There HAS to be more to this story. I certainly don't think the lady should have lost her job for making sure a hungry child got something to eat, BUT, just how far behind were the parents on their lunch account? How many times had this happened in the past? How many warnings had the parents been given? Did she pay for the meals or did she just "give" it to the girl? There are policies in place, as dumb as they may be, they are still in place and if she knew them and violated them anyway, then???? I get it, the food was going to be thrown away anyway, but it seems like more and more society is saying, "rules don't apply." By the same token, parents, you had that child. You must make sure that child's needs are taken care of. School lunch costs somewhere around $2. This district (and many others) let you fall so far in the hole before sending out a notice and then providing the child with a sandwich and a milk.  Parental responsibility has to factor in somewhere. I have some very good friends who are educators and we have this conversation a lot. Parental responsibility and accountability is becoming a thing of the past. More and more parents are taking no ownership when it comes to the success (or failure) of their children when it comes to their education. Making sure your child does their homework, does their reading, hands in their assignments, doesn't go to school hungry or has their lunch money all factor into making sure they are a successful student. I certainly feel for not only the hungry little girl, who had no fault in this situation and for the woman who lost her job. But, I also see the problem the district was faced with. Its sad because there had to have been a better way to handle this situation ALL the way around.
And finally, tomorrow is National Donut Day...something we can ALL look forward to and celebrate without controversy..

No comments:

Post a Comment