Thursday, October 1, 2015

Popeye

Remember the cartoon "Popeye"? One of his famous lines was "I ams who I am and thats all that I am." I think we all need to remember that once in a while. You are who you are and you shouldn't pretend to be anyone you're not and if people don't like the you that you are...fuck em.
I work two jobs. My other half is busting his nuts to get his own company off the ground instead of being a corporate bitch. We have a few head of cows that we co-own with a friend and its a lot of work and time and mess. My yard is filled with hay bales and silage bags and tractors and feed wagons and other food stuffs. I frequently smell manure.
We don't live in a fancy house. We don't drive new cars. Half of my furniture is thrift shop or hand-me down. I shop at Dollar General (Why the fuck would you pay $3 more a package for the same shit paper?) I go to garage sales and buy things off of the swap pages. We don't have $1,200 designer dogs. We have a coon hound who barks all night long and a bitchy Corgi we got cheap because she isn't papered.
I eat too much, I swear too much, I exercise far too little. Ok, really not at all unless you count the many miles I spend hiking my happy ass around Darrell's Place slinging tenderloins and delivering straws. (Which is a big pet peeve of mine...if you don't drink out of a straw in your home, why the hell do you think you need one in a restaurant? And now just for that, my asshole friends will all ask for straws next time I wait on them.)
I call my friends assholes and twats.
I am a damn good cook and a pretty good baker, too. I am a piss poor housekeeper. I loathe folding socks. My dishwasher is my BFF.
I am terrible at managing money.
I have smelly feet, no matter what product I try.
I don't care if you look down on me for any of these things. In fact, I couldn't give two fucks what you think of me because I am a nice person. (Nice is such a douchey word). I am a kick ass person. I rarely find someone I don't like, and if there is someone out there I don't like, you must be a real piece of shit. My circle of friends is large and when I consider you a friend, I mean it. I will have your back no matter how often or how rarely we see each other or talk. When I tell you I love you, I mean it. I don't pretend to be anything I'm not (except sober, I have done that once or twice.) I would give you the shirt off my back if you need it and will bend over backwards to keep everyone happy. I have a big heart and I try my best to treat people the way I want to be treated. I've taught my children to act the same.
Life is too short to play games or to try to keep up with the Joneses, being a good person is far more important than having all the stuff. Like the song says, "I've never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch."
And if you do have all the stuff and are still a good person, more power to ya...wanna be friends? I don't need to own the stuff, as long as you'll let me play with it.

1 comment: